Saturday, February 20, 2010

Don't Skip to the End!

I was talking to this guy that I had met on the bus because he had a book on fasting and decided that I might as well start a conversation. It's an old trick I learned at Roger's. One of the best way to approach a customer is to ask about what they have in their hand and if they have a movie you like, then you can enlighten them with what you like about it and go from there about what other movies they might like or what have you. Anyway, so I was asking him about fasting and why it interested him and one of the things he said was "so that I can know how to pray more effectively and get what I want." I thought that was interesting but I didn't follow up on it. In hindsight, I wish I would have.

Long gone are the days for me where I ask God for anything specific anymore. Not that I lack faith that He can do it, so much as I lack the belief that He would do it. In the past, I was one of like that guy on the bus and would ask God to give me things that I wanted and even needed. There was a couple of times when things came through for me and it was great, but it was through people that it happened.

I came to the realization that a lot of the times when God works miracles, it is through His people. God didn't magically print out more money to deliver to my mailbox, it was through the generosity and the intuition of one of His people. Now, of course, yes, you can attribute that to God and ultimately it is because He has laid out for us in His Word that we should live in such a way that is generous. I think one of the things that people overlook or maybe realize but wish wasn't true is that we have a big part in the work of God. This may seem to contradict what I have said earlier about me believing that people are not particularly special as individuals, but it does not contradict it because the work of God is not reserved for the few who receive some grand call on their lives or who have been given special gifts or talents. Instead, despite how distasteful it is to take time and resources to reach out and help others that is what it means to live a godly life. One that holds loosely onto their possessions so that all can pursue a life of good. One of the things I really liked about the movie "Evan Almighty" is the message of "be the miracle". We wait for God to change our circumstances and a lot of the times our circumstances will change if we are just willing to do it. We just don't because it's hard or painful or we're lazy.

I think that's why for me, I don't like to pray for something specific, because when I do, I am assuming what I really need. I am looking for the easy way out. Can you give me more money? Will you please heal me? Can you make "Jersey Shore" go away now? However, what I have learned from living here in North America is that when you are given whatever you want or things always go your way, you have been given a shallow life. A life that only knows one dimension. A life that revolves around being happy does not know what to do when bad times finally come.

When God offered to give Solomon anything he desired in the world, he did not ask for riches or love or good health. He asked for wisdom. It is the only story I know where God opens it up and says "you can have anything and I will give it to you" and the guy chooses wisdom? God is pleased with Solomon's answer and in return gives him wisdom along with riches and things people would normally want. People are short-sighted sometimes because we think the ends is the most important part and it's not. The means in which in we get there is. People want the riches, not the hard work or discipline to get there. People want the answers to Lost, but don't want to watch six seasons of the show in order to find out. People think that the life of a good person is all about heaven, not the path that leads you there. Life is about building yourself up so that you can weather the tough times and still be able to reach out to those around you and bless them.

That's why when I pray, I try to avoid using phrases where I am asking for things, but rather for understanding in order to navigate the problems. I try to ask for awareness of possible solutions. I pray for intuition. I pray for courage to make the right choice. I pray for the will to actually do what I have to do. I pray for peace so that I can be ready for what is to come. I pray for compassion so that I don't forget about others and what I can do for them. I pray that I can trust that things will work out for the best. Of course, I also pray that if God or one of His people can help me out in a tangible way, please help because it's tough to sometimes do everything yourself.

Sometimes the answer is easy and sometimes the solution will just swoop in from nowhere, but I don't think it is fair to expect that from God. It would cheapen our experience just like it would cheapen my experience if Damon Lindeloff and Carlton Cuse tells me what's the deal with that stupid island. The thing is, the perfect solution for the problem at hand might be one that we hate, but it is the one we must face in order to become better people. It's not because God can't or won't but rather that we need to step up to the plate as both individuals and as a people and become what we need to be.

I think some people hang on the metaphor of God being a king. The person you'd go to if you had a problem and ask for the resources to help you out and it is kind of a business deal. However, it may be appropriate to kind of see prayer as an audience with a wise man. Some one to talk about life with and talk about where it's going. Taking time to reflect on the good things that are happening to help give perspective. It's an opportunity to bounce ideas and share frustrations with and it's an opportunity to pause the world and realize that the solution was perhaps with you the whole time.

"I can only see half of what's going on
But I'm alright cause I can still smile
I can still smile."
- "Smile" from Wide Mouth Mason's album "Stew"

2 comments:

gavin said...

Wide Mouth Mason? Wow....

Excellent, Mr. Rae. I'm thinking about Lewis' words: "I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time - waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me."

Thoughts on the words of the Lord's prayer? (ie. asking for daily bread, forgiveness, etc.)

Unknown said...

True story: I prayed for a man to fart, and he did.