Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Although It Doesn't Have Much to Do With This Post, Joel Olsteen is Still a Liar

I am not sure of what to make of this past week. It feels like a lot has happened. A lot of significant conversations that feel like they are part of a narrative of some sort. It's been kind of difficult navigating them and trying to be objective. I would like to think that I have learned from my past and am becoming a stronger person.

I have learned and I have changed. I have tried to make wise choices and make the hard choices because if I preach that is what people should do, then that should also include me. So that's what I did and it hurts to accept choices that are done in the name of being honest and upfront. I don't regret it, because I needed to do it.

It's hard to tell a person something that they don't want to admit, it's hard to tell a person to do something they don't want to do and it's hard to be the person that has to be upfront when you don't want to be.

I should point out that things are good. It's just that sometimes things are hard.

Joel Olsteen would tell you that you don't have to face suffering through broken bodies, broken relationships, broken finances and pain and that is what makes him a liar. Jesus faced times when he had to say the difficult thing and do the difficult thing because sometimes things are just difficult. Fortunately, peace is found in knowing that when we do what is right and honourable, we are living as we should. We can have joy knowing that the troubles we face here are not forever, but rather it refines our character, an eternal concept.

Hopefully, that can sink in and I can be content.

"In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man,
Now, I've reached that age, I've tried to do all those things the best I can.
No matter how I try, I find my way into the same old jam."
- "Good Times, Bad Times" from the Led Zepplin self-titled album 

4 comments:

matt said...

That's encouraging to hear. You're right, it rarely "feels" good to be that person, the person you're needed to be. Thanks for doing whatever it was you did;)

And maybe Joel Osteen isn't a COMPLETE liar.

David Rae said...

I know he may not be a COMPLETE liar. It was more of a snarky off-hand comment. I suppose I don't like the old prosperity gospel he does which seems to be a cornerstone for his philosophy.

matt said...

Ha, 'snarky'.

Anonymous said...

You're right..sometimes things are hard...
And yeah, thank you for doing what you did/do, and for supporting and helping, even when it wears...Be blessed and strengthened, as you bless..